Monday, December 27, 2010

Cooling Fans Removed & Parts Sanded

This weekend, Jake and I removed the original cooling fans from the car in anticipation of the DMC Northwest upgraded fans, which will weigh less and demand less power from the vehicle.

The removal process involved getting the fan shroud separated from the radiator. In doing this, I am fairly certain the new radiator installed by PJ Grady is not an OEM, but a superior variant with a metal coolant reservoir. That will make the coolant flush easier.

The fan shroud was attached by six small 8mm bolts and we had to get on either side as they were spinning in place.


The shroud's original label was still there, but it was in tatters. A fair amount of manhandling was needed to slide the shroud out from under the frame extension. I'm pretty sure the removal of the wiper reservoir aided in this process.


In order to free the shroud, Jake and I eventually determined the upper radiator brackets were in the way. Good thing they were removed as well because they were rusting significantly and needed sanding.


Once the shroud was removed, we removed the fan motors and discovered the shroud is cracked at the bolt point on the lower right corner. Looks like I will have to purchase a new one. The rest of the afternoon was spent sanding the radiator brackets and the frame extension braces. As soon as things warm up, I will prime and re-spray these with gloss black Rustoleum.

1 comment:

  1. You've put in so much work, I wish I could have been involved!

    ReplyDelete