Thursday, October 14, 2010

Owning a Rolling Movie Star: Part II - Actions Louder Than Words

I was warned by the DeLorean community before I took ownership that my life out and about with a car would never be the same. No, not because of a stellar driving experience or some euphoric epiphany about having a cool car. Rather because that would be almost everyone else's reaction upon your arrival to a gas station, restaurant, movie theater or anywhere you can imagine.

I was warned people would try to get in the car, put their hands all over it, lose all conception of manners and dignity and generally forget themselves and invade my personal space.

They were right. In the 18 months I've owned 6239 I've witnessed some weird stuff. I've got the evidence, both good and bad, to prove it. Honestly, I've met some great people and had many, many great experiences. I've also had experiences that have showed me the worst of humanity. Enjoy a few choice samples:
I caught this guy through the window of the restaurant. I think he was trying to mimic the movie poster, but he came off looking like a swooning Victorian woman.
- Seems like there's always one person who shows up and asks if they can get a picture of their 4-year-old kid in the car, and it's rarely one of my friends like Tom, or someone like that I'm cool with. It's usually a disturbingly eager 30-something Dad. The kid always steps on the seat before getting in (ugh) and looks like he could care less, sometimes outright pissed. Clearly it's more for the parent than the kid, but the parent knows I'd be less likely to let them in the seat.

- Women generally don't care about the DeLorean when they're sober. But when they're smashed, look out! They will try to lean on the car, lay on the car, and push the limit. One girl wanted endless pictures in the car, with the car, wanted me to pretend to be Doc while she was Marty, left, reappeared in the driver's seat and was suddenly on a first name basis with me. Another drunken group practically leapt into the driver's seat while my back was turned. When I politely but firmly asked them not to sit in the car, they informed me that I wouldn't have the DeLorean with me when I was "burning in hell."
These British girls were very polite and reserved, which was a nice change of pace, and probably why I have a picture of them.
 
- If I came up to you at a gas station and started putting my hands all over your car, you'd probably be pretty annoyed and rightly so. You'd think a DeLorean in public is one of those museum exhibits for the blind the way people just put their hands all over it! And right in front of you! They play with the doors when you're not looking, stick their heads all the way in to get a look at the odometer and are generally completely forgetful that someone's car is not public property. At a car show, I even had someone while talking to me reach up under the headlights and give the fascia a nice double tug, like he was testing its durability or something!  One guy did a full palm rub on the roof and started rapping his fingernails on the stainless steel like he was deep in thought or something and forgot the owner was standing there watching him!

- But I'll end this on a positive note. The vast majority of people are polite and a lot of fun. They're so excited to see the "Back to the Future car" as they often call it. They start quoting their favorite lines, asking questions, asking how they can get the car to make an appearance at one of their events. The cell phone cameras abound. Sometimes this is dicey because the photographer in question is driving at the time, and swerving in and out of lanes to get close to the car! I had a guy on a Honda superbike pass me doing 90 while taking photos of 6239 with a digital camera! But as long as I'm a really defensive driver, it's just part of the experience.
This guy was dressed as Marty McFly for a screening and because he was the only costumed fan, I let him sit in the car. Check out the pure glee on his face - this is the awesome side of being a DeLorean owner.
He was a nice guy, so I got my photo with him - the two Martys.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment