Monday, March 21, 2011

The Good Calipers, the Bad Dust and the Ugly Rotor - REPAIRS STALLED

I'll keep this quick. The front suspension is finally rebuilt despite great difficulty. The OEM lower control arms were refurbished while the Heninger LCAs were sent back for evaluation. So, now the front wheels are reassembled--new rotors, new pads, calipers mounted, new springs, new shocks and LCA braces.


So I move on to the rear brakes, after topping off the fluid. Turns out there's no way I can easily remove the pads without disassembling the entire shebang. So, off comes the emergency brakes and the rear calipers, with great difficulty and some brake dust in my eye, which is never good...


The trouble starts with the new rear rotors. The second one is an absolute mess right out of the box. It was covered in a horrendous, slick gunk that I can only assume is the remnants of Cosmoline. One side of the rotor was scored, as if someone had stabbed it with a knife. There was no way I was putting this on my car. Looks like I'll be delayed again as I return yet another part.


I guess the good news is my McFly Jacket, despite having to be returned also for having the wrong color panels, is being completely remade and should be done in a week. God let something go right...

No comments:

Post a Comment