Monday, March 19, 2012

We've Got Pressure!!!! FINALLY!!!!

A series, nay--A saga of setbacks have plagued 6239's resurrection from Winter 2012. Only stands to reason given that 2012 didn't have a winter at all. The coolant flush and refill from the flooded valley ended in a further disaster when Joe and I learned the water pump was kaput. So the whole system had to be drained and the water pump removed, which re-flooded the valley. The bolts were so rusty on the back of the pump, one snapped and the rest were toast. After getting a new water pump from DMC Houston and new bolts for the pump from an online Volvo parts warehouse, Joe, Jeff and myself reassembled the water pump and tried again.

The pump was missing a plug bolt that I had to reacquire. I snagged one from Voluparts here in Atlanta and another was graciously sent my way by DeLorean restoration facility DPI.  Unfortunately, no matter what I did, the plug bolt would "weep" coolant when under pressure. Not good, and no matter what I tried, it wouldn't seal.


So after the fifth failed attempt, I ended up punching a hole in the garage wall...


Then I said to hell with it and broke out the teflon tape and Permatex...


The moral of this story is even brand new parts on a DeLorean can give you a terrible time. Be ready mentally for anything, otherwise your drywall will suffer. It was an admittedly glorious moment when the system held pressure without any leaks!


DeLoreans will also teach you how to make your own tools. That plug bolt sits in a tight cradle on the pump that a typical ratchet and a box wrench have an impossible time getting into. So I ran out to Northern Tool and grabbed a long 19mm socket, then took the Dremmel's grinding wheel to it to taper the end so I could get it into the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment