Monday, January 24, 2011

My DeLorean is rusting!

The first part of tonight's debacle began with much cursing as I fought to get the driver's side wheel spindle out of the knuckle so when the new Lower Control Arms are attached, they can be properly torqued. Unfortunately, in my spirited attempt to remove the spindle, I ended up compressing and ultimately warping the threads for the angle drive. Looks like I'll be making another purchase with DMC Houston this week for wheel spindles...



As if that wasn't fun enough, when I broke out the Dremel to begin rust cleanup of the frame channels behind the LCA mounting posts, I discovered a frustrating disparity. While the driver's side was relatively clean, the passenger side is absolutely deplorable. Huge sections of the frame epoxy were flaking off the head of the screwdriver I was using. Underneath was a sea of surface rust. I don't think anything has severely pitted or flaked yet, but it needs an acid bath FAST.

This isn't going to be easy...Some preliminary work with the Dremel had marginal results...

No comments:

Post a Comment